Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, spokesperson of the Israel Defense Forces, told Newsmax on Monday that a day of "reckoning" is coming for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), saying that Israeli forces are uncovering "troubling" evidence that the agency is aiding the terrorist group Hamas against Israel.
"What we're seeing, bigger picture in Gaza, is a U.N. organization that is failing in its purpose," Conricus said on "The Record with Greta Van Susteren." "They're supposed to be allegedly helping Palestinians. What they're doing is, actually, instead of helping us save Palestinians from the fighting, they are actually doing things that are helping sustain the control of Hamas over the population and are putting civilians at danger."
Conricus' assertions in the aftermath of several disturbing incidents involving UNRWA:
- An Israeli hostage said he had been detained in an attic for nearly 50 days by a UNRWA teacher.
- 13 UNRWA staff members publicly praised, celebrated, or expressed support for massacre of civilians on Oct. 7.
- At least 100 UNRWA graduates have become active terrorists, including two who took part in the Oct. 7 massacre inside Israel.
- IDF footage showed Hamas rockets hidden under UNRWA crates in Gaza.
All this from an agency that claims to provide "education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance" for Palestinian refugees.
"And I would say that the involvement of people that are also affiliated with UNRWA and of UNRWA institutions, locations and their involvement in illegal activities and fighting against Israel is becoming apparent," Conricus said. "We don't yet have a final dossier that we can show, but there's footage coming out, like what you're showing, in other snippets of testimonials and evidence of things that are extremely troubling.
"And at the end of the day, I think that there will be a time of reckoning needed for this organization and many others on what are they doing? Whom are they really helping, the Palestinian civilians or Hamas, which has been governing Gaza for the last 17 years? Conricus added.
"And should they exist the day after Hamas is gone?"
About NEWSMAX TV:
NEWSMAX is the fastest-growing cable news channel in America!
- Find Newsmax channel in your home via cable and satellite systems – More Info Here
- Watch Newsmax+ on your home TV app or smartphone and watch it anywhere! Try it for FREE -- See More Here: NewsmaxPlus.com
Mark Swanson ✉
Mark Swanson, a Newsmax writer and editor, has nearly three decades of experience covering news, culture and politics.
© 2024 Newsmax. All rights reserved.